Tuesday 7 February 2012

Sewing Tuesday: Snugly mitten lining.

Brr! Ooh it's very cold. So cold that the wind whips straight through my woolly mittens. I'm going to line them with fleece to make them extra snugly.


Here's how to do it!


You will need:


  • Mittens.
  • Pen and paper.
  • Needle and pins.
  • Cotton thread.
  • Scissors.
  • Some fleece fabric four times as big as your mitten.


Step 1.
Draw around one of your mittens on the paper. If your fleece isn't stretchy at all, draw the wrist part a bit bigger than the mitten so that your hand will definitely fit. Cut this out, this is your template.


Fold the fleece in half and pin the paper template to it. Cut around the paper template twice on the folded fleece. 


 You should now have four mitten shapes like mine here:


Step 2.
Sewing up. Check the GETTING STARTED link at the top right of the blog to see how to sew or if you get stuck. Sew all around the mitten shape apart from the bottom where your hand goes in.
You can sew the mitten pieces together with over stitch like in the picture below, or you can use back stitch. I used my sewing machine as my sewing arm is still a bit sore. It's up to you how you do it.


Here's what mine look like:


Step 3.
Put your hand inside the fleece mitten shape and then in to your mitten. The lining should stay inside your mitten when you take your hand out. If you want to stitch the lining in you can do, I didn't as I thought it might be handy to be able to take the lining out sometimes. Maybe if they get all soggy from building snowmen they'll dry quicker on the radiator if I can take out the lining. 


My mittens are so warm and cosy now!


Happy Sewing!
Holly.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant. This will really keep the cold out. Marion x

    ReplyDelete